Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Fabrice Caporal
      Keymaster
        Up
        Down
        ::

Hello,

I have received mixed messaging and I would like the community’s opinion on shipping truffles in vacuum sealed bag.

In one hand I am told that vacuum sealed bags help the truffles stay fresh, limits smells from getting out of the box (transporters don’t like that), and may help the truffle Aroma.

In the other hand I am finding article such as this one that state that it is very dangerous as vacuum remove air and anaerobic conditions promote the risks of botulism contamination.

What is you opinion? What is your experience?

Fran Angerer
        Participant
          Up
          Down
          ::

This information is from USDA. Note that it says:

“Thus, perishable foods must be kept either in the refrigerator at or below 40 °F, or in the freezer at 0 °F.”

Not necessarily an answer but a caveat that implies if kept below 40 degrees it would be okay.

KNOWLEDGE ARTICLE
          Vacuum packaging removes air from food packages. Some pathogenic bacteria, such as Clostridium botulinum which causes the deadly botulism poisoning, prefer low-oxygen environments and reproduce well in vacuum-packaged foods. Thus, perishable foods must be kept either in the refrigerator at or below 40 °F, or in the freezer at 0 °F. Vacuum packaging may extend the storage time of refrigerated foods, dried foods and frozen foods, but it is not a substitute for safely processing perishable foods to be stored at room temperature, such as canning or dehydrating. Use refrigerated, vacuum-packaged meat and poultry within a few days, or by the manufacturer’s recommended use-by date.

Viewing 1 reply thread
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.