Dog handler visit protocols

Dog handler visit protocols

Home Forums Webinar Discussions Dog handler visit protocols

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Simon Cartwright
      Participant

From Christine’s talk regarding protocols etc. We have a rough  outline we provide for dogs coming on to our property. It’s a rough draft but feel free to use any or all of it:

The following are some new protocols for dog handlers coming onto our property:

1.       Dogs must be clean before entering the truffière.

a.       A bath prior to arrival is the preferred method.

b.       If the dog has not been bathed since it’s last truffle search, or has been sitting on bedding that has dirt/debris from a previous truffle search, the following must occur before the survey begins:

i.      All dirt and debris to be washed off.

ii.      Face (especially nose) to be wiped with a wet cloth.

iii.      Dog to walk through a Clorhex dip and back legs, haunches and tail to be wipe down with same solution.

1.       As these are the primary body parts that will come into contact with the ground, we have chosen them as the places in need of most attention.

2.       Clorhex is the sanitizing wash used on humans and animals before surgery and is considered safe for this procedure.

2.       Dog equipment to be clean.

a.       Harnesses, collars and leashes must be clean of dirt and debris.

b.       Trailing leads to be washed.  As this is the most likely dog equipment to come into contact with the ground, is must be thoroughly cleaned.

3.       Handler clothing to be clean.

a.       Boots

i.      Free of dirt and debris

ii.      Put into a bleach solution before entering truffiere

iii.      If this is not done, boots will be provided by us.

b.       Gloves and knee pads

i.      Washed since last used in a truffle search.

ii.      If this is not done, gloves will be provided by us.  Please inform us in advance if you may require knee pads as we have limited availability and unwashed, personal ones will not be allowed on the truffiere.

c.       All other clothing, including hats and jackets

i.      Washed since last used in a truffle search.

ii.      If this is not true for hats and jackets, we have some that may be borrowed.

iii.      If this is not true for other clothing, the survey will not commence.

4.       Handler equipment

a.       No outside tools and equipment will be allowed on the truffiere.

b.       Targets and trowels will be provided by us.

c.       Backpacks and other carrying devices must be clean and free of debris.  If they have not been washed since last used in a truffle search, they must not be put down within the truffiere but may be put down 50ft or more away from the nearest tree.

d.       Please let us know in advance if you wish to use any other equipment and we will endeavor to provide for any reasonable request.

5.       Vehicles

a.       Visitor and dog handler vehicles will no longer be allowed past the bridge that leads to the back of the property.

Elise Baker
      Participant

Simon, Thanks for posting these protocols. It gives me somethingto think about for the future when my orchard is producing.

Simon Cartwright
        Participant

I’d think about implementing from the get go, especially if you have other growers coming onto your property as you don’t know if they are carrying contamination or if they grow other varieties of truffle.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.