Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Ruth Bunbury
      Participant
        Up
        Down
        ::

Hello Everyone,

Based on earlier conversations regarding soil compaction, and whether I should use a subsoiler or not, I went hunting for a backhoe…and low and behold, I found one! I was able to dig the 4 foot hole Fran suggested to check soil horizons but then it proceeded to rain and hail for 6 hours straight. My step-mom (and not so silent partner) was able to go out when it stopped pouring and hailing to take a few pictures as I had to head back to the city immediately after the backhoe fun. The clouds opened about 20mins after she took the pictures and it rained for 3 days solid. I asked my father and her to take “post apocalyptic rain” pics because I was very curious about what water had accumulated. The second picture they took (which includes measurements) does show ponding in the hole up to approx. 19″, but it is an open hole and it had been raining for days. So should I be concerned if there was no other ponding on the area around the hole. I have never in my life, thought about dirt so much as I have in the last 2 years…

DISCLAIMER: I AM NOT AN EXPERT!

I have attached pictures for reference and they are titled according to when they were taken.

From what I see, the top-most horizons seem to be moderately well drained loam with some grey-brown calcareous content that may push it towards clay loam for the first 2(+). I think I see some evidence of sandy loam banding at the midpoint of 2ft but again, no expert… Past 2 feet increasing levels of clay loam, then a layer of what looks like semi-compacted clay/loam soil with what looks like threads of hematite?

What are your thoughts? To subsoil, or not to subsoil?

Thank You,

Ruth

P.S.

I apologize for inundating you with questions, I have been trying to connect with experts in my area to support this venture with no luck…very frustrating.

Fabrice Caporal
        Keymaster
          Up
          Down

Like you, I am no expert, but your top horizon looks quite crumbly, I don’t know what you would gain with the subsoil. Was the water in the in the pit due to the rain or is it representative of your water table?

Fran Angerer
          Participant
            Up
            Down

How long did it take for the water to perc through the hole. If it dissipates within a day or two that would be an indication of drainage and would be a good indication.

Viewing 2 reply threads
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.