Forums Cultivating Truffles Tree spacing

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Wendy Snow
      Participant
        Up
        Down
        ::

My trees are planted 6 feet apart, rows are 12 feet apart except drive rows that are 14 feet apart.  There is not much sun reaching the ground under the trees canopies.  I was told the truffles like warm ground, sun warmed, and I need to remove some trees.

Is this right? Bramales and pecan truffles are not having any trouble, will the perigords? My orchard is 7 years old this year.

Fabrice Caporal
        Keymaster
          Up
          Down

I am no truffle expert, but my understanding is that it is truffle species dependent.  For example T. aestivum, like shade, and apparently T. melanosporum, needs sun on the ground. You will have also to consider your local climate, it is also possible to have too much sun.

Wendy Snow
          Participant
            Up
            Down

Thank you for your response.

I am in Tennesse at 900′ above sea-level.

So are you saying for  T. melanosporum I will need to either remove trees, or is shortening them an option?

Fabrice Caporal
            Keymaster
              Up
              Down

It depends who you are talking to. French growers are now swearing by bonzification of trees. Others argue that over pruning cut the sugar supply to the truffle… others are saying that we are now getting too hot so some shade may help… I have not tested either way so I can’t say which is better. Do you have some productio. So you could test one way vs another?

Wendy Snow
              Participant
                Up
                Down

I have 5 acres planted.  The outer trees get a lot of sun and probably 3 trees in on the east and west sides get a lot.  I am seeing Brule on edges and in the middle.  I guess time will tell.  I have many differences throughout the orchard and am pretty much just treating them all the same, ie pruning, water, ph, etc.  The whole thing has been an experiment.  Lol

I’d hate to pull trees out that may produce. Like you, I haven’t found the answer.

Thank you for your time.

Best of luck to you.

Viewing 4 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.