Tagged: ,

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • Author
      Laura Carvery
      Participant

I am just starting out and want to be able to, eventually, grow black winter truffles for a small local market. I don’t want to purchase pre-inoculated trees as I would prefer to complete the entire process myself, from seed to tree and from truffle spore to truffle. Are there any recommendations for reputable fresh black winter truffle suppliers that ship to/within Canada?  Thank you for any feedback.

Fabrice Caporal
        Keymaster
          Up
          Down
          ::

In my humble opinion you can probably purchase truffles from any distributor as long as you make sure that they are ripe and of the right species. Once you receive your truffles, smell and color should tell you about the ripeness.  Then you should take a piece of each truffle and have it DNA tested as well as spore checked by a speciality lab to confirm the species, especially if you are planning to work with black truffles.

For the lab I have been working with Inga Meadows of North Carolina State University, but there are other labs able to do this work.

Nyall Cook
          Participant
            Up
            Down

Hey Laura, I am in the process of starting a Truffière in Central New Jersey and would also like to complete the process from “soup to nuts” in house.

I was looking around for a solution to the problem your raising and I was thinking about reaching out to this Spanish company – Micologia Forestal & Aplicada – https://micofora.com/en/. However after reading this forum I may instead search for someone more local to test truffle supplies from different sources.

Good luck to all of our neighbors up north!

Alana McGee
            Participant
              Up
              Down

Dietrich, if you are directly importing into the US you do need USDA/ customs paperwork. It is more efficient to work with an expediter/ import house if you do this- but still requires a decent amount of time/ cost- so it’s not practical if you’re not bringing in Large volumes.

Even easier, if you’re bringing in small amounts (Sub 5-10 kg), to go through a distributor as Fabrice mentioned. We at Truffle Dog Co, do bring in small amounts for situations like this into the US, but not Canada at the moment.

For Canada, I’d reach out to the BC Truffle Association or Shannon Berch might be able to connect you with the producing growers to get inoculum domestically. If you’re looking for Aussie Truffle this summer for Perigord to get your hands on, shooting an email to a few of the Aussie producers who export (such as Gavin Booth at Aussie Truffle Traders) can connect you with whom they distribute through Canadian markets.

And as everyone has echoed- even if coming through a distributor, get the truffles you’re planning to use DNA tested. I see a lot of truffles come in through distributors from Europe which are not correctly categorized and mixed shipments. Trust your source, but verify 😉

Laura Carvery
              Participant
                Up
                Down

Thank you, I will definitely get them tested.

Michael Zablocki
                Participant
                  Up
                  Down

Hey Laura, I agree with Fabrice. I am not sure where in Canada you are located, but it seems that the most supply of Canadian grown black truffles occurs on the West coast in BC. You could reach out to some of the truffieres there since you have a good idea they would be fresh. I cannot recommend anyone in particular though.

I am also in Canada (southern Ontario) with a similar goal to yours. Please keep the membership aware of your progress towards your goal of establishing a truffiere and I will do the same. From my experience, there is a general unwillingness to share ideas amongst many truffle farmers, which I think hurts everyone. Trying to get a foot into truffle farming can sometimes feel like a lonely experience, especially when you sit down with a banker that thinks the idea of truffles is insane!

Good luck with everything!

Laura Carvery
                  Participant
                    Up
                    Down

I actually ended up purchasing from them as well. I wanted a variety 😜

Up
                    Down

What was your experience like importing truffle for inoculation? I can’t tell whether you need a USDA import certificate or not.

Fabrice Caporal
                    Keymaster
                      Up
                      Down

Personally I have not imported truffle, I have purchased them from importers. From my research I don’t think there is much regulation around importing truffles.

Fran Angerer
                      Participant
                        Up
                        Down

I was required to file forms and get an importers number with the USDA to import truffles from Croatia.

As far as buying truffles to use as inoculant, be advised that it is recommended to verify type of truffles with DNA testing before using as inoculant.

Up
                        Down

Fabrice, are there any importers that you recommend?

Up
                        Down

Fran, do you remember which forms you filled out?

Fran Angerer
                        Participant
                          Up
                          Down

Customs form 5106

Fabrice Caporal
                          Keymaster
                            Up
                            Down

Unfortunately I can’t give you a name of an importer I used as I went through the help of someone else. But I am sure you could go through any local distributor. However, if your intent use is for innoculum, make sure to DNA test every single truffle.

Another source of spores that I know of is Marcos Morcillo with Micofora

Viewing 13 reply threads
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.